Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What is Color Me Healthy?
Color Me Healthy is a program developed to reach children ages four and five with fun, interactive learning opportunities on physical activity and healthy eating. It is designed to stimulate all of the senses of young children: touch, smell, sight, sound, and, of course, taste. Through the use of color, music, and exploration of the senses, Color Me Healthy teaches children that healthy food and physical activity are fun.
Designed for preschool settings, but adaptable
Color Me Healthy is designed to be used in family daycare homes, Head Start classrooms, and childcare centers serving 4 and 5 year olds. Some kindergarten classrooms use Color Me Healthy.
2. What’s in a Color Me Healthy kit?
The kit includes:
- Teacher's Guide with:
- 12 lessons to use during Circle Time
- 6 imaginary trips that let children imagine traveling to different places and events
- Color Your Classroom section with ideas to make the classroom come alive
- Ideas for teachers to model healthy eating and an active lifestyle
- 4 picture card sets that feature dairy foods, colors of foods, where foods grow, and places to be active
- 3 classroom posters to use during Circle Time activities and as decoration
- 7 original songs with upbeat tunes and lyrics (CD and cassette tape included) [download sampler]
- Hand stamp to reward participation
- 14 reproducible newsletters to get parents involved. Each issue includes an after work healthy food idea and a "Kids Kitchen" segment to encourage parents and children to work together when making meals.
- 2 parent posters to reinforce healthy eating and physical activity
- Color Me Healthy in the Garden lessons
- Teacher's Guide with:
3. How effective is Color Me Healthy? Are there any data to show how useful it is?
More than 50,000 childcare providers are using Color Me Healthy across the nation.
Child care providers completed an 8-week follow up survey (n=1102):
- 95.3% gave Color Me Healthy an excellent or very good overall rating.
- 92.0% felt that using Color Me Healthy increased children's physical activity
- 93.0% felt that using Color Me Healthy improved children's knowledge about healthy eating
- 90% of the children, as perceived by their teachers, improved their recognition of fruits and vegetables
- 87% said they spent more time talking about fruit and vegetables and nutrition in general after attending Color Me Healthy training
- 78% of teachers perceived that the children were willing to try new fruits and vegetables
- 20% of centers and daycare homes increased physical activity time
4. Are the kit components available in other languages?
Several of the kit components are available in Spanish, including:
- 4 Sets of Picture Cards
- 1 Classroom Poster
- 14 Reproducible Parent Newsletters
- 2 Parent Posters
- Teacher’s guide with circle time lessons
5. How do I get a Color Me Healthy kit?
Color Me Healthy kits can be ordered from colormehealthy.com/orders/.
6. Have there been any updates to the curriculum?
Color Me Healthy in the Garden was added in 2023. If you already have a Color Me Healthy Kit and would like this resource, please contact Carolyn_Dunn@ncsu.edu to request a complementary copy.